February 26, 2012

No Bake Double Chocolate Energy Bars

Hello Sunday! Hello new week! Last week was certainly not a week I care to repeat, from flopped recipes, to totaling out my new (used) vehicle. All turned out well in the end. I walked away from the vehicle, unharmed. And the flopped food, was edible, but certainly nothing to write about!

I am trying to kick this week off to a good start with some healthy recipes to try. I love my junk food, greasy food, and just plain bad for ya food. But, I need to be eating healthier foods and I would rather eat good when I can, and still be able to enjoy the indulgent treats when I want!

As always, I like to find foods that travel well, and that my truckin' man will like as well.  When I found the recipe for these No Bake Double Chocolate and Prune Energy Bars over at Eat Good 4 Life, I was sold.  With 2 kinds of chocolate, peanut butter, almonds, and honey, how can it go wrong???  Add in some prunes, and flax seed meal, it is a good healthy snack.  Flax seed meal is a new ingredient for me. Since finding it at the store, I am running into a variety of recipes that call for it, so I doubt that it will last long.

If you have any picky eaters, you can probably sneak this right by them as a chocolate delight.  When I gave my truckin' man his first bar to try, he thought it was a new fudge recipe! Yup, he didn't even know it was good for him, until I told him :)


No Bake Double Chocolate Energy Bars  (from Eat Good 4 Life)


1 c. raw almonds
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
1/2 c. flax seed meal
1 lb whole pitted prunes
1/2 c. cocoa powder
3 T. honey
2 T. Peanut Butter

In food processor, add almonds and pulse until they are in coarse pieces. Add dark chocolate chips and flax seed meal, pulse til finely chopped. Pour into another bowl, and set aside.

In food processor, add prunes, honey, peanut butter and cocoa powder and pulse until mixture is finely chopped and comes together. Add almond mixture back to the food processor and pulse for a few seconds until the entire mixture comes together.

Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper. Cut the paper extra long, so that the parchment paper hangs over the ends of the pan.  Press the chocolate mixture evenly into the pan and fold parchment over the bars. Set a plate in the pan, to cover the bars. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Remove bars from pan, and cut to desire size.  Store covered in refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly