June 26, 2013

Chicken Taquito's


When you are a household of two and make large quantities of any food, you sometimes have to get creative on using it in different ways. Honestly, when there is a food that I really like, I could eat it meal after meal, until it's gone. That isn't the case with Truckin' Man. He isn't quite so big on leftovers. I suppose it comes from eating so many repeated meals in the truck, so I do try to keep him happy and change things up on the meals as much as I can.

This was the case with my Tex Mex Shredded Chicken. We both loved it, but it made such a large amount, that I had to get creative. I had a memory of one of my old favorite foods from the days when I always had my deep fryer and the huge boxes of "fryer food" on hand.  Taquitos! I LOVED taquito's. I hadn't had them once since I gave up the fryer, and I missed them! So with a lot of yummy chicken on hand, I gave this a shot, and the whole thing was a huge hit! I rocked them out, and haven't been so proud of a meal in a long time!

For my vegetarian friends, I would suggest trying this with some re-fried beans as the filling in these. I think that would be phenomenal!




Chicken Taquitos

Corn Tortilla's
Tex Mex Shredded Chicken
Vegetable Oil (or your favorite frying oil)
Seasoned Sour Cream (See Recipe Below) - Optional
Cilantro, Avocado, Salsa - Optional


Warm corn tortilla's in microwave. Keep tortilla's covered with towel while you are working. (I am slow at rolling, so I heat a few tortilla's at a time. The warmer they are the easier they roll!) Spoon one to two tablespoons of Tex Mex Shredded Chicken down center of tortilla. Roll tortilla's as tightly as you can, and secure with toothpick.

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Use enough oil to to cover pan to about 1/8 inch deep. Once hot, place taquito's in skillet.  Do not overcrowd the pan, you need room to turn these over easily, and the tooth picks take up space! Cook each side 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on papertowel.

Serve immediately with Seasoned Sour Cream, Cilantro, Avocado, Salsa.



Seasoned Sour Cream
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. minced garlic powder

Combine and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.

Printable Recipe


Sharing this recipe at:
Thursdays Treasures 
Foodie Friends Friday 
The Weekend re-Treat 
Weekend Potluck 
Pin Me Linky Party 
From the Farm 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday 
Clever Chicks 
Finding the Pretty and Delicious
In and Out of the Kitchen
What'd You Do This Weekend 
Wednesday Extravaganza

11 comments:

  1. Yum...I love taquitos!!! I will have to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taquitos! These look so good. Pinned!

    Stopping by from Chocolate Chocolate & More. Have a great weekend!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, taquitos with refried beans sound delicious! The food looks so good in your photo - mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. I am so there on getting creative when you have two in the house. Love this taquito recipe and anything with a crunch, definitely going to try it soon. Pinning now!

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from The Weekend Retreat Link Party! Been craving Mexican food and this looks so fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love taquitos, so I definitely need to try these. Great photos. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris, I need to make these - I love the Mexican flavours but haven't got them right yet. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice....one of my favorite things. Great with a good salsa. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun and so delicious are taquitos. Yours looks and sound very tasty.Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Mexican food, these look perfect and delicious! I will be making them soon! My daughters love black beans so I may go that route for them but chicken for my hubby and I! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly